Qualifications to Register to Vote
- U.S. Citizen
- 18 years of age before the next election
- Continuously resided in Nevada, at least 30 days in the county and at least 10 days in the precinct before the next election
- The address you list on your Voter Registration Application must be your sole legal place of residence and you claim no other place as your legal residence (NRS 293.485)
- You are not laboring under any felony conviction or other loss of civil rights that would make it unlawful for you to vote
Registering to Vote
- When registering to vote you must supply a Nevada Driver’s License Number if you have been issued one. If you do not have a Driver’s License Number, you must supply at least the last four digits of your Social Security Number. If you do not have a Social Security Number, please contact the Nye County Clerk’s Office
- If you are mailing your application and are a first time registrant in Nye County, you must submit a copy of a current and valid photo ID or a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck or document issued by a government entity that shows your name and your residence address
Registration Procedures for Military Personnel and Overseas Residents
We recommend military personnel and their dependents who are temporarily living outside of Nevada, and Nye County residents temporarily living overseas, to complete and submit a “Registration and Absentee Ballot Request – Federal Post Card Application” (FPCA) instead of the standard Voter Registration Application. The FPCA is a Voter Registration Application and Absentee ballot request in one. It eliminates the need to submit these items separately. Contact your Commanding Officer for the FPCA form.
Voter Registration Cards
Voter Registration Cards are non-forwarding mail, so if the post office returns your card to our office as “undeliverable” or indicating you have moved, your registration ay become inactive.
A new Voter Registration Card will be sent within 2-3 weeks after the application has been processed. A new Voter Registration Card will be sent if your precinct has changed. If you have not received a Voter Registration Card, or if you’ve lost your card and would like a replacement, call (775)482-7318.
Keeping Your Voter Registration Current
When you have a change of address, please complete a Change of Address Form or a new Voter Registration Application as soon as possible. For name changes or political party changes, please complete a new Voter Registration Application as soon as possible.
Inactive Voter Registration
If the Post Office returns your Voter Registration Card, Sample Ballot or voter registration related correspondence to our office as “Undeliverable” or indicating that you have moved, you will be sent a forwarding notice advising you to update your address with the Nye County Clerk’s Office. If you fail to do so within 30 days, your voter registration will be inactivated. If you inform us that you have moved outside of Nye County, your registration will be canceled.
If your registration is made inactive, we will stop mailing you election related materials, such as sample ballots. You may still vote in your precinct of record, but you will be asked to complete and sign paperwork confirming your address. If you go to any other precinct to vote on Election Day, you will be instructed to return to the polling place where you can vote in your precinct of record.